To determine the weight of your garage door, lift door to the fully open position and attach clamp to track below the bottom rollers to prevent door from lowering. Carefully remove tension completely from springs. With the help of an assistant, carefully lower the door onto a bathroom scale to obtain doors weight. If the weight of door you are weighing exceeds the capacity of your bathroom scale. Use two or more scales, then add the reading of each scale to obtain garage door's weight. Purchase replacement door spring and install.
- Furnish wire size
- Measure the inside diameter to the nearest 1/32"
- Furnish Garage Door Springs length (Do not include loops in thismeasurement)
- Specify type of door (Sectional or one piece)
EXAMPLE: .177 - 1 9/32" ID -25"
- Furnish Garage Door Springs length.
- Amount of stretch (Amount of stretch is half of the door height)
- Furnish the TOTAL door weight
EXAMPLE 25"- 42"- 150#
Proper Handling ofGarage Door Springs:
- It is important when handling springs to prevent any nicks orscrapes to the wire. Any small scrape or nick in the wire could result in premature spring failure.
- Springs that are used in areas of high humidity should have a coating of oil or rust inhibitor.
- Lift door completely and securely attach clamp to track below bottom rollers to prevent door from lowering, then remove garage door spring tension before attempting to service extension spring. Failure to remove tension before servicing garage door springs may result in injury or death.